Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing #11

Flickr is amazing! What a great way to organize your photos so that they are in a safe place and organized. It makes my cluttered and unorganized photos look like a hot mess! I love the idea of sharing my photos too. Isn't that the whole point of a picture -- to capture a moment, share a moment, and remember the moment? Pictures can be safe here! Students can also do a great digital photo project -- capturing images of prisms, pyramids, cones, cylinders, and spheres for a Geometry or Measurement project. They can upload those to Flickr for safe-keeping, organization, and for sharing! How wonderful!
This photo uploaded by Old Shoe Woman is a great example of a triangular pyramid. The photo URL is http://www.flickr.com/photos/judybaxter/2614613280/.
The license terms of this work can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/deed.en. What a great project -- I am sure that the kids loved it! The gumdrops are the vertices (plural for vertex) and the toothpicks are the edges. I can really see kids getting engaged with this activity. Once the three-dimensional shapes are created, students can take pictures of them, upload them to Flickr and even create an informational powerpoint about their project. How exciting!

I used the tag of 'math' to help me find this one. I found several other pictures that I plan to use in the future by searching 'pi' and 'reflection'. It is amazing the artistry found on Flickr. These photographers range from novice to expert. Some of the images captured are breathtaking, some are funny, and some are personal. Flickr is a great find! WOW -- another free resource to use in education!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture you found. So often math teachers don't think they can incorporate some of these "things" and you found a great way.

    ReplyDelete